In this one-credit UAS course participants will deepen and be able to apply their learning related to culturally responsive, sustaining, and revitalizing pedagogies. Participants will reflect on and apply new learning related to instructional design, curricular resources, and creating educational opportunities focused on social justice, equity, and cultural connectedness to place.
Course Title: ST: Culturally Responsive Education Conference
UAS Course Code: ED 593
UAS CRN, Section: 77332
Instructor: Lisa K. Richardson, PhD
Please contact Lisa at email@example.com if you have any questions about course content. Registration information below.
During the Conference (August 5 - 7 )
- Attend all three days (August 5 – 7) of the conference.
- Attend each of the featured speaker sessions on August 5th and 6th and the panel discussion on Saturday, August 7th.
- Attend a minimum of three breakout (out of a total of four possible) sessions on August 5 and 6.
- Complete and submit evaluations for each session and at the end of each day.
- Add to Reading and Reflection Journal in response to new learning and ideas for application to practice. You can use this as an opportunity to distill notes you make during the sessions you attend at the end of each day (1-2 pages per day). Participants will set up a Google document to share with the instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org) with permission to edit. You will add daily reflections and notes from each session you attend to this document, with a final reflection at the end of the conference (see below).
- Participants will attend a lunchtime (12:30-1:15) roundtable discussion on Friday, August 6 to discuss new learning with one another and to prepare questions for the featured speaker panel on Saturday morning.
After the Conference: (DUE by August 11)
- Develop a personal action plan (2-3 pages) that addresses any or all of the following: (this will be added to your above reflection journal entries)
- Classroom climate;
- Cultural connectedness and responsive education practices;
- Curricular ideas;
- Instructional routines or practices;
- Additional applications of new learning to classroom practice specific to context.
Registration Instructions for ED S593
- Login to UA Online
- Select Student Services and Account Information
- Select Registration
- Select Register/Add/Drop Classes (Note: Add/Drop is only available during the drop period)
- Select the term Fall 2021
- Enter the Course Reference Number (77332) under the Add Classes Worksheet.
- Select Complete Registration Changes
- Read and accept the notice of responsibility to pay the tuition and fees associated with the class(es). A current schedule will appear above the Add Classes Worksheet. Verify that the status says "Registered Web on [Current Date]."
- Select Pay Now. Contact the Student Accounts Office for further assistance or questions regarding payment.
For Professional Development/593 classes online registration is the only option. Paper registration forms received by the Registrar's office will not be processed and will be returned to the student.
If you are not already part of a degree program apply as a non-degree seeking student and then register for Professional Development/593 classes through UAOnline.
Students are allowed to drop the class prior to the first meeting. No drop or withdraw option is available once the class starts.